Monday, September 6, 2010

September 6, Madrid Orientation

Last day of orientation classes today! In the first class we were paired up with partners and each received a picture. We had ten minutes to write a story about the picture both in the present, and the story leading up to that point to practice using the different past tenses. Then we presented these orally to the class. In the second class we talked about letters and syllables, and in the third we took a multiple choice test. I felt like I did quite well on the test because it was all grammar and that is mostly what we learn in our Spanish classes in the US.

That test was combined with the oral exam from earlier, a short letter we had written, and our responses to questions after listening to a passage to give us our placement in the Spanish class we all have to take.

We didn't have time to return to our houses for lunch today so we all brought sandwiches with us along with made by our "mothers" this morning. That was a lot of fun hanging out with everyone again on the patio, and then I went off with a few other people to try to find a tobacco shop where we could get the form to get the month pass for the metro. I've been trying to do this for a long time but there kept being more things I needed or the tobacco shops would be closed whenever I wanted to use them.

We finally found one, but this one had a different rule from the others and we had to have our passports, a copy of our passports 2 pictures, and the form. None of the other ones require the passport so I didn't have it with me. After that and finding more people from our group we explored the area a bit then returned to the center to sign up for classes.

I've been looking forward to taking flamenco, but had to drop it in order to take the internship class I want to take in order to become more part of a community and around my Spaniards. So my classes are: Advanced Spanish I, Culture shock: the cultural diversity in Spain (an anthropological class), Spain today: social and professional learning (internship), and History of Spanish Art (prehistory to baroque). They all look like they are going to be good!

After that and waiting in line forever to make the change to the internship class (it has a class part to it too and I guess it's really really good) I went to a cafe with three other students and we got a little snack and just relaxed. I walked with JaJa towards her house where I finally found a tobacco shop I could turn my form in to and retuned to my home are via subway. I explored around my apartment area looking for gyms (they're all really expensive) and seeing what was there.

When I finally got back to the house a little after 7 pm Marías brother and daughter were there and I talked with her daughter for a while which I really enjoyed. She is a journalist and I was able to ask her questions about the area and some learn more. La noche en blanco is coming up the day we return from our orientation trip and is a night when all of the museums and other similar buildings and exhibits are open for the entire night and free to everyone so there are a lot of people out in the streets and it is a great time to be out and about.

Tomorrow morning we leave very early for Galicia and other towns in northern Spain and will return on the 11th!

No comments:

Post a Comment