Leading up to today (september 29) there was a lot of build up about the huelga general (general strike) where we were hearing from pretty much everyone that there would be a country wide strike. The last one was about 2 years ago, and from listening to our directors and teachers, they said that it would be almost impossible to use the metro because last time there were rows of people 6 deep trying to get on the metros and busses that just didn't stop sometimes because they were too full and couldn't fit any more people.
Because of this I decided to look up how long it would take to walk to school. The metro takes me about an hour, so I was really surprised when google maps told me that it would only be an hour and 20 minutes. It is a lot more direct and there isn't the waiting between metros.
The walk is really nice and I get to walk to walk by the palace and along some of the major and more important roads. When I got to school some of the people had taken the metro and said that it was actually working better than it usually does because everything was still on time and there was almost no one using them. I guess they were all scared away.
I ended up walking the rest of today too. I didn't really notice many changes in the city with the strike other than seeing no busses and some stores just closed for the day, but one thing that I'm really glad about is that it happened so I could figure out how to walk to school. It is so enjoyable and on the days when I don't have to get to school early or am not in a rush, I'm able to walk a lot more because of it.
Another plus is that it makes the city seem not necessarily smaller, but more put together. I understand it a lot more and can find my way around if I'm somewhere I'm not completely familiar with.
No comments:
Post a Comment